To get license or Study Medicine in Europe, role of France can not be forgotten in European medicine. France is a Western European country, it is also the sixth worlds and third European economic power after Germany and United Kingdom. French is the Official language and population is 66.3 million people (2016 est).
France has one of the most developed health care system in the world. The infant mortality rate is lower than European union . Female life expectancy remains higher than that of men.
More information about country’s health profile and statistical data can be seen here
More health statistics can bee seen here
Undergraduate Medical Education
France has one of the best study medicine in Europe model. Whole basic medical education is conducted in French Language.
Undergraduate medical education in France starts after 15 years of school education and entry into medical school is after passing a competitive exam. (more information about structure of education can be seen here).
Students have to enter into first year of premedical/health studies education and have to pass exam at the end of the year to get formally into undergraduate medical education. It is referred to as health license in France.
Faculty of Medicine of University of Paris Descartis offers 6 year MD program entry requirements are:
For local and European national students:
-Register for FYHS (First Year of Health Studies)
For non-European national students:
-Register for FYHS (First Year of Health Studies)
Usually only 8% of foreigners are admitted in the basic undergraduate medical program.
For local, European or non European national student who haven’t finished their basic medical education (whichever year they are studying in) if they want to continue to their education in France they should study first year and pass the examination and after that they can be allowed to study in their year of previous education in their home country.
Medical studies are organized in three cycles and lead to the State Diploma of Doctor of Medicine (MD)
- 1st cycle – 2 years
- 2nd cycle – 4 years
- 3rd cycle offers two possible paths: General medicine or other specialties that lead to the Diploma of Specialized Studies
Medical students graduate after second cycle of medical studies and they can continue third cycle leading to their residency training.But they also have to pass ECN exam.
EU/EEA/Swiss confederation, Andorra graduates:
This exam allows them to access to specialty (11 specialties, including General practice) more information about it can be found here. After passing exam foreign doctors will be ranked and allocated into residency program according to their exam result and other criteria.
Duration of specialty training depends on chosen specialty i.e. General medicine training is for 3 yearn while for other specialties it can range from 4 to 5 years.
For Non-EU/EEA/Swiss graduates:
For complete specialization in France:
Foreign doctors can get residency training in France but they should pass an exam ” concours d’internat à titre d’étranger ” which is organized by the National Management Center but very few positions are opened and some specialties are offered.
For partial specialization in France:
Foreign doctors who is not specialist yet can get a Specialized Medical Training Diploma for 1 year
A foreign physician specialist can prepare a specialized medical training diploma from, 6 months to 1 year
Licence / Registration
National Council of the College of Physician is authorized body for licensing and registration of foreign medical and dental graduates in France.
French, EU, EEA and Swiss graduates can work in France without passing a license examination. For more information see procedure section.
Foreign medical graduate Non EU medical graduates can work as General practitioners or Specialists in France provided they fulfill eligibility criteria and pass licensing examination , “épreuves de verifications de connaissances “ They are the first step of the exercise authorization procedure (EAP) for foreign doctors registration in France organized by National Management Center.
For medical students wishing to enroll in basic medical education in France
- French baccalaureate or higher secondary school certificate
- French language competency certificate (B2)
- Application for entry in medical education
For ECN (Residency Entry Exam for EU, EEA or Swiss medical graduates)
- Being local student/, nationals of Member States of the European Union/, the Swiss Confederation,/ the Principality of Andorra or States Parties to the Agreement on the European Economic Area European
- Basic Medical graduation certificate (equivalent to French 2nd cycle)
For residency Entrance Examination for Non EU graduates “concours d’internat à titre étranger”
- Being Non EU medical graduate
- Certificate of competency of French language (B2)
For partial specialization in France:
1-Be MD (medical doctor).
2-Hold a level French certificate B2 minimum.
For licence/registration examination:
License/registration examination for foreign doctors registration in France eligibility criteria is
- Being non EU foreign medical graduate
- Have already served for at least 3 years in the country of origin
- Have French language certificate at B2 level (CEFR)
1. Residency process:
Check eligibility criteria according to nationality group mentioned above then send complete relevant application form with list of documents (mentioned also in application forms) to the address mentioned below in documentation section
2. Licence/Registration examination
EU, EEA and Swiss graduates can practice in France after registering in tableau des ordres des médecins français (table of order of French doctors).
Non EU graduates wishing to be registered in France as general practitioners should apply for licensing examination by following this procedure:
- Know the eligibility criteria
- Each candidate will address during the registration period his application letter, with all documents by registered mail with return receipt requested, to the Regional Health Agency of his place of residence (in France). If the applicant resides abroad, he/she should send his/her application letter, under the same conditions, to the Addresses of regional health agencies in different region in France of his/her choice health
- Candidates receive an invitation to the written tests of the specialty in which he/she registered for, taking place during a single day.
- Candidate get authorization from Ministry of Health and they can then register in tableau des ordres des médecins français .
1. For Residency Training
For EU,EEA,Swiss ECN
The exam consists of nine clinical cases (3 cases per half day so 3 half-days) and finally, a Reading test Critique of Article on half a day. Each case (and the ACL) is scored 100 points, each accounting for 10% of the note. The final grade is a total of 1000 points.
For Foreigners (Non EU) «concours d’internat à titre d’étranger»
Examination of the foreigners ” concours d’internat à titre d’étranger “ is composed for 2 tests :
- Eligibility test for residency (if not present in France it should be taken at French embassy or consulate, if already in France it should be taken at address mentioned below)
- Residency Entrance examination test is taken place at following address
Jean Monnet, 47, rue des Solets, 94533 Rungis;
2. For License/Registration Examination (épreuves de verifications de connaissances )
For license/registration examination for foreign doctors registration in France is composed for 2 tests:
- Fundamental knowledge verification Test
- Practical knowledge verification Test
These tests vary from one specialty to another. Also see licensing exam information page
1. Residency Exam
a) Documents required for Non EU graduates for an exam « concours d’internat à titre étranger» :
- Fill Application for Registration for exam
- A Declaration of Honor
- Copy of identity card and copy of passport
- Copy of university medical degree and transcript
- A sworn statement attesting that the candidate is not a EU national
- Copy of diploma of license/registration from home country
- For persons residing in France, a readable photocopy residence permit
All completed documents should be sent to :
– For resident in France, by registered mail to the following address: National Center for Management, competitions department, to licensing, mobility-professional development, national unity medical assistance, ETR, building Le Ponant , 21 B, rue Leblanc, 75737 Paris Cedex 15;
– For persons resident abroad, to the embassies of France, French Consulates.
b) Documents For ECN (For EU, EEA, Swiss confid. nationals)
- Fill ECN registration application form
- The copy of the national identity card
- The copy of basic medical qualification (degree/diploma) or if not graduated yet, a certificate issued by university that student is in the final year of medical studies. (Translated into French)
The documents should be sent to a general director of the National Management Center (Le Ponant B 21 rue Leblanc 75737 PARIS cedex 15)
2. License/Registration Exam
Documents of Registration/license exam for foreign doctors registration in France « des épreuve de verifications de connaissances »
- Fill license exam registration application form
- The copy of the national identity card or of passport and residence permit (if already in France)
- A copy of basic medical qualification and transcript/mark sheet
- Copy of license/registration certificate from health authority of home country.
- Copy of French language proficiency certificate B2 level at least (CEFR)
The documents should be sent to the Regional Health Agency.
documents to register in tableau des ordres des médecins français .:
for resident doctor salary ranges between 1.300 and 2.000 euro/month
More detail list of salary per specialty in France can be seen here
Detailed fee can be found here
Postgraduate Medical Education
Like rest of the Study Medicine in Europe options, during and after the DES (Diplomes d’Etudes Specialisées), foreign medical students may also complete Master research or professional Master from Faculty of Medicine of University of Paris Descartis is for two years of study. After that a 3 year PhD can be completed.
There are always CME (Continuous Medical Education) credits doctors can be earned by attending conferences and seminars organized by Ministry of Health of France, National Management Center and many others.
Note: (Read our FAQs page . If you still don’t understand something leave a comment below. Also we offer our professional service for application and documentation for France. Kindly email on email@example.com for further details and service)