Republic of Angola is South African seventh largest country in Africa. It is located between Namibia, Congo, Zambia and Atlantic ocean. Population of Angola is 24.4 million (2016 est.) Luanda is capital and largest city and Portuguese is national language.
Health system is facing crisis as Angola has one of the lowest life expectancy and highest infant mortality rate. Since 2002 Civil war, millions of people are lacking basic health care till now. Angola needs thousands of doctors.
Undergraduate Medical Education
The College of Medicine has duration of six years and is structured in three cycles:
- The basic cycle (first and second years of the course)
- The clinical cycle (third to fifth year of the course), and
- Internship (sixth year).
Also in the year of internship, students prepare and present to a jury, a thesis/project
Though there isn’t any medical residency in angola training structure in Angola. But most of the postgraduate education or training are conducted by universities.
Licence is basically registration certificate with Order of Physician of Angola (Ordem dos medicos de angola)
Foreign medical graduates can apply for registration to work in Angola if they submit all required documents mentions below in Documentation Section. But they would still need to know sufficient Portuguese in order to deal with patients and documentations in hospitals
Foreign medical graduates can work in Angola after registration from Order of Physicians of Angola by presenting documents mentioned below in documentation section
Currently there is no examination for foreign medical graduates to enter into university or to work in Angola as doctors
Complete list of documents required for registration with Order of Physicians of Angola for both Angolan and foreign medical graduates.
Foreign Residents:Angola docs required for register.
- Consular Registration on legal representation of the country of nationality
- Permanent residence permit issued by the competent authorities in Angola
- Two year of work experience in home country or abroad as doctor
- Certificate of good standing from home country (issued by health regulatory authority)
- Diploma or Certificate of Degree (basic medical qualification)
- Certificate of recognition or equivalency diploma or certificate degree from the University Agostinho Neto
- Criminal record certificate
- Medical certificate stating physical and mental fitness for professional practice
- Completed registration application form.
- Petition addressed to the Chairman of the Medical Association , requesting registration.
- Three passport size photographs.
- curriculum program if admitted in residency training in a university in Angola.
Postgraduate Medical Education
Postgraduate medical education options are limited in Angola few government and private institutes offer postgraduate courses.
Faculty of Medicine of UAN (University of Agostinho Neto) offers 3 masters course
- -Master in Medical Education.
- -Master of Public Health.
- -Master in Physiology, Fisiartria and Sports Medicine.
The Faculty of Medicine of UAN holds 2 courses Specialization in Public Health:
- – Management Course in Health-option: Hospital Administration.
- – Course Masters Degree in Public Health.