What is Residency Database all about

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What is Residency Database all about?

What is Residency Database about? It is an open source information portal for Foreign/International Medical or dental students and graduates around the globe. It provides information regarding undergraduate medical information, Licensing and registration process, postgraduate medical, surgical or dental specialties training (also called residency), jobs, fee and salary in different countries of the world

2. Who we are? and why all the hustle?

We are a team of medical professionals from different countries working together and writing this largest database for medical and dental doctors around the globe. Information we provide is posted only after extensive research from the official websites. So our information is always authentic. But we do appreciate constant positive criticism by our visitors for improvement of our database

3. How to utilize this information in best possible way?

First of all please read the eligibility criteria under Eligibility heading, Once you are eligible for that section. Please read the Procedure Heading about application procedure. you always apply with  documents mentioned under Documentation Heading

For Example: If a Non EU (Non European) Basic Medical Graduate wants to apply for issuance of License to practice medicine (work as independent General Practitioner) in Spain. He needs to first read eligibility criteria under Eligibility heading in Spain Post. (See Eligibility heading then 1. For License/Registration then b. For Non Eu medical and dental graduates) Once you meet all criteria (have all those necessary documents) then read the application procedure under Procedure heading (See Procedure then 1. Homologation /Equivalency process for Non EU graduates  then 3. License/ Registration then b) of Non EU graduates) with documents mentioned in Documentation section

It is not so difficult to apply because all the necessary information is already mentioned in the post with addresses where to apply and fee for application and its payment procedure.

4. Do you provide any Professional services regarding documentations and application for any country?

Yes, Currently we provide documentation and application service for International Medical Graduates for UAE, Saudi Arabia, France, Switzerland, and Belgium

For UAE and Saudi Arabia write us on residencydatabase@hotmail.com, For Belgium, France and Switzerland write us on residencydatabase1@yahoo.com. For UK write us on residencydatabase2@gmail.com

Please understand this very well that we encourage you to apply yourself without any agent. But if you still want us to apply on your behalf then understand this that currently we only do documentation process for aforementioned countries and write us only on those email addresses only after you MEET ALL THE ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA mentioned in that country’s post

5. How long the process takes and how much money you charge.

Process takes month usually and it varies from that country’s documentation process and response from their official bodies. Our fee is always minimal because we are here mainly for helping doctors community around the globe. We are constantly trying to improve our database and we always need more professionals and willing medical graduates who can join us.

6. what is Residency?

Medical Residency is a form of postgraduate specialty training for fresh medical graduates. Usually in many countries residents are paid while getting their training. Since it is paid position/job  plus postgraduate training. So it’s always very competitive to get a spot in it. Most of the residency training have a limited quota for International medical or dental graduates (IMGs) e.g. Spain has just 4% quota for IMGs. Also most of the residency training are guarded by an entrance exam. which is usually very difficult to pass since it is always in the official language of the country. After completing residency training, every resident is considered as specialist.

7. What is License or Registration?

License or Registration is a form of documentary permission to practice medical or dental profession in that country. Most of the licensing and registration requirements are less than residency requirements. After license or registration you can work independently as  general practitioner or specialists (if you have prior specialist qualification or completed your residency in another countr). In many countries there is a licensing or registration exam for IMGs. However there are still many countries where you can get license to work as general practitioner or as specialist without any exam. e.g. Bhutan, Angola, Cameroon etc.

License or Registration is usually done by Medical Council, Ministry of Health, Colleges of Physicians or another health regulatory body in the country.

Form of License or Registration

There are many license or registration types. Popular are:

a) Provisional Registration or License

It is form of registration which is just issued for one year or two year until a local or foreign medical graduate is doing internship or gaining necessary clinical experience usually under supervision until he/she is fully capable of working independently.

b) Permanent Registration or License

It is form of license or registration in which a practitioner is registered fully and he/she can practice his/her profession independently. In some countries it is issued for 5-10 year or life long. 

c) Limited Registration or License

It is form of license or registration in some countries where an IMG can practice his/her profession but only under supervision of a Senior doctor, Consultant or a Supervisor. His duties and role is limited. It is sometimes considered as similar to Provisional Registration

d) Temporary Registration or License

It is Registration or License for IMGs who are in the country for a temporary time period. e.g. this form of registration is very common for African countries where an IMG will stay for few months, a year or two working in local or International NGO.

e) Specialist Registration or License

It is issued only to specialists who have successfully completed necessary postgraduate residency training, diploma or degree and their postgraduate training is recognized in the country.

8. Why I need to learn official language of the country?

Because whether it’s License/Registration or Residency training, you will have to work with patients and they won’t apply Speak in English for you. You need to learn the official language of that country up to B2 or C1 level of CEFR. So it’s first and foremost requirement. So anyone who wants to apply first you have to be proficient in official language of that country and have proof of Language proficiency by diploma or certificate.

9. What is difference between EU, EEA, Switzerland graduates and Non EU graduates.

EU graduates are medical or dental graduates from European Union, European Economic Area and Switzerland and their qualification is automatically recognized in other Switzerland, EU, EEA countries. After completing necessary documentation process they can get license or registered easily or they apply for residency training same like local graduates in these countries.

Non EU graduates are those who graduated from other countries irrespective of their nationality. So process of recognition and issuance of license/registration or residency entrance in Switzerland, EU, EEA is bit lengthy and complicated.So you have to be patient and prepare all necessary documents if you want to apply in any of these countries

10. What is Equivalency and how it is done?

Equivalency is recognition of Foreign medical qualification equal to same medical qualification of local medical graduate. e.g. A German undergraduate medical qualification consists of 6 year of medical education and clinical practicals. When a International medical graduate applies with basic medical qualification of 5 year from a Non EU country. His/her qualification is not considered as equivalent to a German one. So he or she is asked to provide sufficient experience or additional degree, diploma, certificate or clinical work to be recognized equivalent to German qualification and to be issued an equivalency certificate.

Usually Ministry of Education is one of the main authority in European Union which gives Equivalency certificate. So IMGs from Non EU, EEA or Switzerland first need to apply for Equivalency certificate. Graduates from EU,EEA, and Switzerland don’t need to apply for Equivalency since their qualification is automatically considered equivalent in whole EU, EEA or Switzerland.

Though those countries which has signed treaty or mutual recognition of Qualifications agreement between each other, their graduates also do not need have to go through Equivalency Procedure. One of the main treaty signed by many countries is Bologna Process. Qualification of graduates from Bologna treaty signed countries is mutually recognized in another country signed same. 

11. What is title recognition?

Title recognition means that your title as medical doctor, dentist or specialist in your field should be recognized first by Ministry of Health before you apply for Residency Exam or Licensing/Registration in that country. It is also one of the basic prerequisite by many European countries. It should be done by both EU, EEA and Swiss graduates and by Non EU graduates as well. It’s application is usually simple and takes less time to be completed than Equivalency process.

12. I want to be part of Residency Database Team. How to join?

We are a team of dedicated professionals working for helping medical students and doctors all over the world. If you are one of them you can send us your CV on residencydatabase@hotmail.com