Luxembourg or the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg is a Western European country without access to the sea. It is bordered by Belgium to the west and north, Germany to the east and south to France. Its extremely dynamic economy makes it one of the richest countries and more prosperous world. “Luxembourg City” is the capital and largest city. Luxembourgish, French and German are the three official languages. The country has population of 0.65 million (2015 est.).
Luxembourg has one of the most developed health care system in the world. Luxembourg health care system is governmental and is controlled by Caisse de Maladie des Ouvriers. Life expectancy at birth is 82.2 percent (2013)
More information about country’s health profile and statistical data can be seen here
More health statistics can be seen here
Undergraduate Medical Education
Basic medical education in Luxembourg starts after completing secondary school education by having high school diploma or baccalaureate or equivalent.
The University of Luxembourg is the only university in Luxembourg which offers the first year of bachelor of medicine and specific training in general medicine.Language for study are: French/German. Study program is usually for 6 year. Students can study only for 1st year in University of Luxembourg. They can continue their studies in another European country.
After passing the first year of bachelor of medicine in Luxembourg, student can apply to continue his/her study in medicine abroad in universities which the University of Luxembourg has agreements with.
Can find here the lists of universities which have agreements with university of Luxembourg.
Luxembourg Medical Residency
There is no possibility to do medical residency in Luxembourg in other specialities except General Medicine which is for 3 years.
If the number of eligible applicants exceeds the number of available seats, the applicants have to pass a residency entrance exam.
The specific training in general medicine includes:
- A theoretical part: it includes a maximum of 250 hours of theoretical training
- Some hospital practice: 6 months at least,
- A practical part in the office: 12 months at least
some universities offer the realization of part of the specialization in a Luxembourg hospital on condition that there is a link between the two institutions. Candidate should contact first his university to apply for the part of specialization.
In order to practice medicine in the country. Luxembourg medical license is required for foreign medical graduates, candidates have to contact the Ministry of Health of Luxembourg as it is the main health regulatory authority for foreign medical graduates in the country.
NonEU medical graduates have to apply for approval of diploma by the Ministry of Higher Education.in Luxembourg to have the eligibility to practice medicine.
1. Eligibility to study the bachelor of medicine in Luxembourg
- High school diploma
- Language proficiency (French or German): level C1
Be national of EU,EEA or Swiss Confederation or a Non EU graduate or refug
- Hold of basic medical qualification
- Passing the exam of residency if the number of eligible applicants exceeds the capacity of acceptation.
- -hold basic medical qualification
- -hold approval of diploma from Ministry of Higher Education for NonEU graduates
- -hold language certification of French and Germany C1
Procedure to apply to first year of bachelor of medicine
First pre-register on university website (www.uni.lu), Then send the required documents to Studies Department and Student Life (here can find the address). The university accepts 100 medical students per academic year.The students who are accepted , can then do the final registration.
2. Procedure for medical residency in General medicine
Know the required eligibility to apply for general medicine, then send the file with documents to Studies Department and Student Life to Christine VALET Secrétaire de Formation – FSMG et ESAVS de l’Université du Luxembourg Faculté des Sciences, de la Technologie et de la Communication 162 A, avenue de la Faïencerie L-1511 Luxembourg Téléphone: (+352) 46 66 44 6365 Email: email@example.com .
3. Procedure to get Luxembourg medical license
Non-EU graduates should have approval of their medical qualification from Ministry of Higher Education of Luxembourg, then send documents to Ministry of Health which send those documents to medical college to give a favorable opinion, once the acceptance given, the ministry of health provides the authorization to practice medicine to the medical graduate
- Notarized copy of secondary school certificate or foreign diploma recognized by Ministry of Education (as equivalent)
- French and German Language Certificate up to C1 level
- 3 Passport size photographs
- -certificate copy of high secondary diploma
- – certificate copy of basic medical qualification
- A written request/application
- Copy of passport
- Diploma notarized copy
All these documents should be sent to Secrétariat de la Commission d’Homologation Ministère de l’Enseignement Supérieur et de la Recherche 20, montée de la Pétrusse L-2327 Luxembourg Tél: (+352) 247-85135 Fax: 292186
4. Documents for application for Luxembourg medical license to practice medicine
- Notarized copy of all medical qualifications
- Copy of passport
- Medical certificate confirming the good physical and mental health
documents should be sent to Ministry of Health at Service Professions de santé Autorisations ’exercer Villa Louvigny – Allée Marconi L – 2120 Luxembourg LINCKELS Paul
Tél. : (+352) 247-85523
1. Examination for entrance into medical residency in general medicine composed of:
- A written test on knowledge of French and German 20 points;
- A written test/oral on general medical knowledge 40 points.
2. At the end of general medicine residency
There is examination composed of :
- A written and oral test 40 points
- Defense of thesis 20 points
Fee of registration of first bachelor year of medicine in Luxembourg is 200 Euro/semester
General Practitioner: 77541 Euro/year
Specialist: 147658 Euro/year
Postgraduate Medical Education
University of Luxembourg offers some Master and PhD degree programs for medical graduates. Though there aren’t much options in the country for postgraduate medical education for medical and dental graduates.