Senegal is a west African country. It is bordered by the Atlantic Ocean to the west, Mauritania to the north and east, Mali to the east and Guinea-Bissau to the south. There is great linguistic diversity in Senegal and French is considered as an official language in Senegal. Dakar is the capital of Senegal.
Senegalese are healthier and live longer than most African countries. Senegal has one of the lowest HIV rate (0.9%) in Africa. Country requires large number of medical staff. Government has taken initiatives for improvement of public health sector. life expectancy at birth is 59.78.
More health statistics can be seen here
Undergraduate Medical Education
Undergraduate medical education in Senegal starts after passing a competitive exam (examen de baccalauréat)
In Senegal, there is University of Cheikh Anta Diop of Dakar the only Public university providing access to medical education. Language of education is French.
Medical studies in Senegal is organized in 3 cycles:
- 1st cycle: is for 2 year
- 2nd cycle: is for 4 year
- 3rd cycle: theoretical studies – practical training with thesis presentation.
Also St. Christopher Iba Mar Diop College of Medicine of University El Hadji Ibrahima Niasse (UEIN) offers 4 year and 6 year MD degree program. Where foreign students can get admission in this private institution.
Students holding a foreign degree certificate recognized as equivalent to International Baccalaureate, can register to study medicine in Senegal.
Senegal Medical Residency
University of Cheikh Anta Diop of Dakar offers Senegal medical residency training in many specialties for local and foreign medical graduates called Certificate of Special Studies (Certificat d’Etudes Speciales). The duration of training differs from one specialty to another. There are theoretical studies and practical training. There is no entrance examination for Senegal medical residency or specialty training but there are exams during training period in every specialty. However there is annual fee for every medical residency training for locals and foreign medical graduates.
Apart from Senegal medical residency training, doctors who want to practice medicine in Senegal should register with National Order of Physicians of Senegal (ordre national des médécins en sénégal), there is no examination for registration and foreign medical graduate can register to practice in Senegal, if they get equivalence of their basic medical qualification degree/diploma from Ministry of higher education.
- Have International Baccalaureate or foreign title accepted as equivalent to Senegalese bachelor
- Be aged 20 years (maximum) for medicine
- Be aged 22 years (maximum) for Pharmacy or Dental Surgery
- Have average within three (3) scientific subjects i.e. Mathematics, Natural Sciences, Physical Sciences.
2. Eligibility to enter in Senegal medical residency or specialty training
- Holders of medical doctors state diploma Issued by the University of Cheikh Anta Diop of Dakar.(or equivalent)
- Applicants holding a Doctor of Medicine degree from a foreign university allowing him to practice medicine there and recognized by Senegal
- Completion of Internship successfully passing all exams
- Holder of Doctor of Medicine (MD) degree or equivalent to Senegalese basic medical qualification
- Senegalese nationality or national of a country having an agreement involving the right to reciprocal establishment of national doctors in that country; nationals of non-Francophone countries will be required to provide sufficient knowledge of the French.
- Should be registered with National Order of Physicians of Senegal (ordre national des médécins en sénégal)
1. Procedure to study medicine
Once you meet eligibility criteria (mentioned above), you can send an application form with list of documents (mentioned below in documentation section) to university
2. Procedure for Senegal medical residency training
Once you meet eligibility criteria (mentioned above) you can apply for Senegal medical residency position with required documents mentioned below (also here in every respect faculty page). Also write coordinator of that program to discuss more about availability and application documents requirement. you can find all relative information. e.g. Cardiology, Internal Medicine, Tropical and Infectious Disease, Neurosurgery, Dermatovenerology, ENT, Orthopedic & Traumatology, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Pediatrics etc.
3. Procedure for License/registration
Once you meet eligibility criteria to practice medicine in Senegal (mentioned above), you can register to National Order of Physicians of Senegal (ordre national des médécins en sénégal)
There is no Senegal medical residency entrance exam though in every specialty, there is exams for evaluation.
There is no license/registration examination
1. For foreign student to register in university of Cheikh Anta Diop de Dakar for basic medical education
- A handwritten application addressed to the Rector specifying the option chosen (medicine )
- A certified photocopy of transcript/mark sheet of Baccalaureate
- A certified photocopy of the Baccalaureate certificate
- An original birth certificate not older than three (3) months
- A certificate of nationality/passport copy
- A cover letter from the Embassy or Consulate
Documents should be sent to Faculty of medicine, pharmacy and Dentistry at Cheikh Anta Diop University BP 5005 Fann Senegal
a) To work in Public sector:
- Application form for registration
- Certified photocopy of the Certificate of State Doctorate in Medicine
- Certified photocopy of C E S
- photocopy Decision
- Photocopy Service socket Note
- Two (2) passport size photos
b) To work in Private sector:
- Application form for registration
- Ministerial decree of authorization to practice in the private (you should get it from Ministry of Education)
- Two (2) passport size photos
3. For Senegal medical residency entrance
- Registration request to dean of faculty
- Certified copy of the basic and postgraduate (if any) medical qualification
- Letter of motivation
- Certificate of Commitment // support Sheet
- Copy National Identity Card (passport)
- 2 photos
- Birth certificate (less than 3 months)
- Criminal Record (less than 3 months)
- Individual registration authorization issued by the Responsible for teaching after selection
Fee of specialty training for local student: is FCFA 505,000/year
Fee of specialty training for foreign student is 650000Fcfa/year (1000 USD/year).
Postgraduate Medical Education
Continuing Medical Education (CME) is the body of scientific knowledge in the medical field after getting the classic status doctoral degree in medicine and specialty. it completes the initial training received during medical studies. Institute of Health Development also plays vital role in updating knowledge of medical graduates